Drug addiction and narcissism share similar behavioral traits that lead many to wonder are drug addicts narcissists. Addiction and narcissism are mental health disorders that can negatively impact a person’s health and happiness. Narcissists will often turn to drugs and alcohol to cope with their low self-esteem issues or to get attention from others. Treating narcissism and addiction at the same time requires co-occurring treatment where therapists work to uncover the root cause of both disorders.
At Evoke Wellness, we help men and women who are struggling with addiction caused by past or recent trauma, depression, or narcissism. We work closely with each patient to uncover the root cause of the addiction and any underlying mental health disorder behind it. Patients will participate in group and private therapy while receiving medication to minimize the symptoms that are interfering with their recovery. If you are concerned a friend or loved one is struggling with addiction and narcissism, reach out to our knowledgeable team today at 866.693.3871 to discover all of the benefits of our addiction treatment facility.
Are Drug Addicts Narcissists?
Drug addicts and narcissists share a similar trait: they both crave an external source for their happiness and well-being. Narcissists crave attention from others, either positive or negative, while drug addiction causes cravings for the substance of choice. In this aspect, drug addicts are narcissists because of their need for an external source to get through their day.
Some of the similarities between addiction and narcissism include:
- An inability to see how their actions are negatively impacting themselves and those around them.
- A lack of empathy.
- Problems with low-self esteem.
- Becomes defensive when talking about their behavior.
- Experiences depression and anxiety symptoms.
At Evoke Wellness, we do not assume all drug addicts are narcissists and vice versa. We run a full assessment on all patients to determine the root cause of their addiction and develop an effective treatment plan to address all aspects of their addiction.
Recognizing the Signs of Drug Addiction in Narcissists
Each person has unique reasons behind their addiction and must address those issues to reach their sober goals successfully. If you suspect a friend or loved one is struggling with addiction due to narcissistic behavior, here are some of the signs of drug addiction in narcissists:
- They use drugs and alcohol for attention and will not recognize that they have a problem. They feel they can handle the addiction without help and will do all they can to prove it, even to the detriment of their own health.
- They see themselves as having the worst possible addiction and need more attention than anyone else. This can cause problems in group therapy if they try to dominate the session and not give others time to speak about their issues.
- They use drugs and alcohol for attention and have a higher risk of overdosing in their attempt to gain attention.
- They can experience rage if they don’t feel they are getting enough attention.
Drug addiction and narcissism share several traits, including using drugs or alcohol or narcissism to cover their own feelings of inadequacy or low self-esteem.
Evoke Wellness: Your Top Choice for Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Are drug addicts narcissists? At Evoke Wellness, we will answer all of your questions about addiction and narcissism so you will feel confident you are in the right place to treat your symptoms. Our behavioral therapists have experience treating co-occurring conditions of narcissism and addiction using a combination of behavioral and holistic therapies. Patients participate in group and private sessions while receiving medication to reduce withdrawals and cravings.
To learn more about our addiction treatment programs and how they can benefit your recovery, call 866.693.3871 or fill out our online form today and we will get back to you as soon as possible.