Post-Traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health disorder that some people develop after experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event. It can lead to physical, psychological, and emotional consequences that make it challenging to complete tasks in daily life. Individuals affected by PTSD may struggle with personal or professional relationships or have difficulty fulfilling family or work obligations. Furthermore, individuals with PTSD are more likely to develop a substance use disorder (SUD); these co-occurring conditions negatively reinforce one another, often compounding the adverse consequences. A professional PTSD treatment program offers the best chance of successfully managing PTSD symptoms and any co-occurring conditions.
Evoke Wellness in Coconut Creek, Florida has an experienced and compassionate staff of behavioral health professionals who can help you or a loved one struggling with PTSD. Call 866.693.3871 to learn more or get started today.
What Causes PTSD?
PTSD can occur after any number of traumatic experiences. These experiences overwhelm the individual’s coping mechanisms and sense of safety, triggering a deep-seated fear response. Common sources of trauma that can lead to PTSD include the following:
- Physical or sexual assault
- Combat experience
- Natural disasters
- Car accidents
- Loss of a loved one
- Childhood neglect or abuse
- Domestic violence
- Bullying and harassment (in-person, online, or both)
It’s important to note that not everyone who goes through traumatic events develops PTSD. Some people may have short-term responses, while others may develop long-term symptoms indicative of PTSD. The development of this disorder depends on various factors, including the individual’s personal history, coping mechanisms, and the nature and intensity of the traumatic event itself.
If you or a loved one are struggling with PTSD, help is available. A professional PTSD treatment program can begin to address the underlying trauma and provide therapy and support so you can heal.
Symptoms of PTSD
PTSD does not affect each person in the same manner. A wide variety of mental, physical, and behavioral symptoms can manifest. Some of these Symptoms may include the following:
- Severe anxiety
- Uncontrollable or intrusive thoughts about the event
- Feeling tense, sad, or hopeless
- Withdrawing from other people
- Acting defiantly
- Showing impulsive behavior
- Being fearful or easily startled
- Feeling constantly on guard
- Having difficulty concentrating
- Having difficulty falling asleep
The impact of PTSD on patients’ lives can be profound. It can disrupt their daily activities, relationships, and overall quality of life. It’s a serious mental condition, and professional help is often needed to manage the symptoms and improve the quality of life.
Common Therapies Used in a PTSD Treatment Program
Various effective evidence-based therapies and holistic approaches are used to treat PTSD. Some of these include the following:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – This type of therapy helps individuals reframe their thoughts related to the traumatic event, reduce intrusive memories, and manage anxiety.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) – This therapy helps individuals by teaching them to accept their current situation and develop strategies to move forward in life.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – This therapy helps patients learn to better control their emotions and behaviors.
- Aversion therapy – This therapy helps patients with PTSD by gradually exposing them to the source of their fear in a safe and controlled environment.
- Meditation therapy – This type of therapy helps to reduce symptoms of PTSD by teaching patients relaxation techniques and calming breathing exercises.
- Yoga therapy – Yoga can help to reduce anxiety, depression, and stress, which is beneficial in the treatment of PTSD.
These are just a few of the many therapies available as part of a professional PTSD treatment program. Evoke Wellness in Coconut Creek, Florida, offers a comprehensive and integrated approach to treating PTSD through individual, group, and family therapy sessions.
Contact Evoke Coconut Creek Today
Evoke Wellness in Coconut Creek, Florida, offers a comprehensive PTSD treatment program tailored to each individual’s needs and preferences. Our experienced team of behavioral health professionals provides compassionate care and effective treatments designed to help individuals manage their PTSD symptoms and improve their overall quality of life. Call today at 866.693.3871 or reach out online to learn more about how we can help.