Anxiety is a natural part of life, a response to stress or fear. However, for some individuals, these feelings of anxiety persist and can often interfere with daily activities. There are several types of anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and specific phobias. Among these, social anxiety disorder (SAD) stands out due to its profound impact on an individual’s interpersonal relationships and social interactions.
Evoke Wellness at Coconut Creek offers anxiety treatment in Florida. Our comprehensive inpatient behavioral health services can address any addiction and co-occurring mental health conditions, like anxiety. Call 866.693.3871 to learn about our programs and services, verify insurance, or get started today.
What Is Social Anxiety Disorder?
Social anxiety disorder, also known as social phobia, is an intense fear of social situations. Individuals with this disorder worry excessively about being embarrassed, humiliated, or judged by others. Some of the actions that may cause them fear and anxiety include the following:
- Public speaking
- Eating in front of others
- Making small talk
- Attending social gatherings or events
- Meeting new people
This fear can be so intense that it interferes with work, school, and other activities and may cause the individual to avoid certain situations altogether.
Symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder
Symptoms of social anxiety disorder can be physical, emotional, or behavioral. These symptoms vary from person to person or even situation to situation but can be disruptive to daily living.
Physical symptoms may include:
- Rapid heartbeat
Emotional symptoms may involve:
- Intense fear
- High levels of anxiety
- Panic attacks
Behavioral symptoms may include:
- Avoiding social situations
- Difficulty making friends
- Being very afraid of other people noticing their anxiety
A professional behavioral health treatment center offers compassionate care in treating co-occurring disorders like anxiety or depression that often accompany substance use disorders.
Treatment Options for Social Anxiety Disorder
There are several treatment options available for individuals with social anxiety disorder, each with its own unique benefits:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – This type of therapy helps individuals identify and challenge negative thought patterns that lead to feelings of anxiety. CBT often proves significantly more effective than other treatments for social anxiety disorder.
- Exposure therapy – This involves gradually and repeatedly going into feared situations until your fear begins to decrease.
- Group therapy – This provides an opportunity to practice social skills and gain confidence interacting with others.
- Medications – Certain medications, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and benzodiazepines, can be used to manage the symptoms of social anxiety disorder.
At Evoke Wellness at Coconut Creek, we offer a variety of evidence-based therapies and holistic approaches to treatment. Our caring professionals will develop an individualized treatment plan for each patient that addresses their unique needs and recovery goals.
Contact Evoke Wellness at Coconut Creek
If you’re living with social anxiety disorder, it’s important to know that help is available. Licensed behavioral health professionals can provide diagnosis, comprehensive treatment, and ongoing support.
One such resource is Evoke Wellness, a comprehensive behavioral health care facility located in Coconut Creek, Florida. At Evoke Wellness, we utilize evidence-based treatments to help individuals overcome their fears and live fulfilling lives. For those battling addiction, we offer detox and inpatient programs that address many of the mental health conditions that co-occur with substance use disorders. These include anxiety and depression, which can persist even after the patient is no longer dependent on addictive substances.
Remember, seeking help is the first step toward recovery. Don’t let social anxiety disorder control your life. Reach out to Evoke Wellness at Coconut Creek today by calling 866.693.3871 or find us online and take the first step towards a healthier, happier future.