Addiction is a mental health disorder that affects over 50 million men and women each year. While there is no cure, there are several treatment programs available that can help individuals and their families recover from this treatable illness. An addiction severity index is an assessment tool used for determining the severity of the addiction and what it will take to treat the patient successfully. Addiction treatment is a necessity if the addiction is disrupting their work and personal lives and they are unable to quit without help.
At Evoke Wellness in Coconut Creek, our accredited addiction treatment center treats men and women who are struggling with addiction to alcohol, meth, heroin, or other lethal substances. We take the time to build trust and rapport with each client to create an atmosphere of open communication and true healing. Patients will participate in group and private therapy sessions while receiving medication to minimize any symptoms that interfere with the recovery process. To learn more about our addiction treatment programs, call 866.693.3871 or fill out our online form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
What Is the Addiction Severity Index?
The addiction severity index (ASI) is an effective assessment tool for determining the severity of addiction in patients as they enter an addiction treatment program. It is a comprehensive overview of a person’s physical and mental health and looks at how addiction affects them. It was initially developed by the Philidelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center in the 1980s and is very popular in treatment centers, hospitals, prisons, and other organizations around the country.
The ASI looks at several factors in a person’s life to determine the severity of the addiction. The assessment examines medical status, current employment, the level of drug and alcohol use and types of substances, legal status, family and social status, and psychiatric status.
The addiction severity index ratings are as follows:
- 0-1 – No imminent problem, and treatment is not necessary
- 2-3 – Indicates a slight problem, and treatment may or may not be needed
- 4-5 – This score indicates a moderate problem where treatment should be considered
- 6-7 – Patients with this score have considerable difficulty with addiction, and treatment is necessary
- 8-9 – Indicates an extreme addiction, and treatment is essential to save their life
At Evoke Wellness, we offer a full range of treatment programs to treat all levels of addiction and any corresponding disorders fueling it. We use the ASI to determine the best type of therapy that will aid in their recovery.
Using the Addiction Severity Index
The addiction severity index is performed by a certified psychiatrist or trained professional with experience assessing patients’ needs. The assessment allows therapists to create a treatment program that includes several forms of therapy.
After completing the ASI, therapists will create a treatment program that will include the following:
- Behavioral therapy – Cognitive-behavioral therapy is one of the most recognized treatments for addiction and other mental health disorders. Therapists work with patients in private therapy, where they will guide them toward uncovering the root cause of the addiction and teach them the power within them to make real changes. During group therapy, they can practice their new skills and gain valuable insight from their peers.
- Medication-assisted treatment – Psychiatrists will administer medications to reduce any withdrawal symptoms and cravings, along with other symptoms that interfere with recovery. They will monitor patients’ reactions and make any adjustments to their dosage to minimize any negative side effects. By the end of the program, most patients will no longer need the medication.
- Family therapy – An important part of a well-rounded treatment program includes family therapy. Parents, spouses, and children will find a safe space to talk about any negative feelings caused by the addiction. They will also learn how to create a supportive home environment to promote a healthy and sober lifestyle.
The Anxiety severity index is a helpful tool for determining the best type of treatment for addiction recovery. It allows therapists to create a more supportive program and improves patients’ chances of lifelong sobriety.
Choose Evoke Wellness for Our Addiction Treatment Programs
What is the addiction severity index, and how can it benefit your recovery? At Evoke Wellness in Coconut Creek, we use the ASI assessment to create a comprehensive treatment program to treat all types of addiction. By enrolling in our addiction treatment program, you reduce the risk of relapse and learn how to manage your symptoms and cravings with confidence.
Reach out to our friendly team today by calling 866.693.3871 or filling out our online form to discover all of the benefits of our addiction treatment facility.