Depression, often referred to as major depressive disorder or clinical depression, is a common yet serious mental health condition. It is characterized by persistent feelings of sadness, loss of interest in activities, and a decreased ability to perform daily tasks. Depression is more than just temporary blues; it’s a constant state that affects your thoughts, feelings, physical health, and overall quality of life. Additionally, depression is often accompanied by substance use disorder (SUD). The combination of drug and alcohol addiction with depression makes both conditions worse and requires specialized treatment for co-occurring disorders.
Evoke Wellness offers a depression treatment program in Coconut Creek, Florida, and can address any co-occurring substance use issues simultaneously. If you or a loved one are struggling with depression, call 866.693.3871 today to learn more or get started toward a brighter future.
What Is Depression?
Depression is not a one-size-fits-all condition. There are several types of depressive disorders:
- Major depressive disorder – Most people think of this when they hear “depression.” It involves symptoms like persistent sadness, feelings of worthlessness, and a lack of interest in previously enjoyed activities.
- Persistent depressive disorder (Dysthymia) – This type of depression lasts for at least two years, with individuals experiencing periods of major depression along with less severe symptoms.
- Bipolar disorder – Although not strictly a form of depression, people with bipolar disorder will experience episodes of extremely low moods that meet the criteria for major depression.
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) – This is a type of depression that typically occurs during the winter months when there’s less natural sunlight.
- Psychotic depression – This occurs when a person has severe depression plus some form of psychosis, such as having disturbing false beliefs or a break with reality.
- Postpartum depression – This is much more serious than the “baby blues” and includes severe depression, anxiety, and exhaustion that may interfere with a new mother’s ability to care for herself or her family.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) – Women with PMDD experience depression, irritability, and tension before menstruation.
The causes of depression can be complex and multifaceted. Factors such as genetic vulnerability, severe life stressors, substances you may take (some medications, drugs, and alcohol), and medical conditions can affect how your brain regulates your moods.
Symptoms of Depression
There are various signs and symptoms that can manifest physically and emotionally and indicate a person requires a professional depression treatment program. These may include the following:
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
- Decreased energy or fatigue
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or sleeping too much
- Appetite and/or weight changes
- Thoughts of death or suicide
It’s important to remember that these symptoms can also be associated with other conditions, so professional consultation is crucial for an accurate diagnosis.
Therapies Common to a Depression Treatment Program
At Evoke Coconut Creek, we use a combination of evidence-based therapies and holistic approaches for our depression treatment program in Coconut Creek, Florida. These include the following:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy – This type of therapy focuses on helping individuals identify and change distorted thoughts and beliefs that are contributing to their depression.
- Dialectical behavior therapy – This type of therapy teaches individuals how to regulate and accept their emotions while also being mindful of challenging thoughts or feelings.
- Yoga therapy – This holistic approach combines yoga postures, breathing techniques, and mindfulness meditation to help individuals reduce stress and improve their overall mental well-being.
- Music therapy – This type of therapy can help individuals express their feelings and get in touch with emotional states that can become blocked due to depression.
- Nutritional education and counseling – Eating a balanced diet is essential for helping individuals manage their symptoms of depression and stay healthy.
Depression can be challenging to live with, but help is available. Evoke Wellness offers a comprehensive depression treatment program in Coconut Creek, Florida, to help individuals with major depressive disorder effectively treat their condition and lead meaningful lives free from the symptoms of depression.
Contact Evoke Coconut Creek About Our Depression Treatment Program Today
If you or someone you know is struggling with feelings of depression, it’s essential to seek help from a mental health professional. The team at Evoke Wellness is here to provide the support and guidance you need. Our depression treatment program in Coconut Creek, Florida, offers comprehensive care for depression and any co-occurring substance use disorders.
We understand that everyone’s situation is unique, so our experienced therapists develop customized plans of action to meet your individual needs. Contact us today at 866.693.3871 or reach out online.